Monday, June 18, 2007

View from the Shore - Cadillac Van Isle - Leg 3 (Finish)

The third leg of the Cadillac Van Isle has ended and all boats are safely in Campbell River getting ready for the next two legs (the next stop is at a remote fish farm near Hardwicke Island).

I took an enjoyable slow drive up the old coast roads to Campbell River. Just past Oyster River I stopped and had a great view of the fleet, with "Flash" in the lead. Kairos finished around 1:50pm and took forth place for this leg. The finish off the fishing Pier in Campbell River offered entertainment as boats sailed in on a fast ebb current, causing at least one boat (Atalanta) to miss the finish line, try to turn around and fight the current to get back to the finish line. Kairos finished while Atalanta was still trying to get back to the finish line. "Blue Lightning" (with April on board filming) finished close to Kairos and April happily reunited with the crew of "Kairos".

Another early start tomorrow with the boat leaving the dock at 6:00am to motor up to Deepwater Bay for the start of the 4th leg of the race, 24.5 nautical miles to Hardwicke Island.

For me, I plan to drive up to Kelsey Bay (closest I can get to Hardwicke Island and about 5 nautical miles west of the finish line) and find a hotel room for the night (there are two, both not good, but adequate). Last year I was lucky enough to find a boat going to the fish farm taking the Save on Foods girls over to cater the evening dinner for the sailors (that's not what it sounds like either - I mean cater the food service, not....). I'm not so sure I'll be that lucky this year, but I plan to be at Kelsey Bay around the time the boats go over and see what happens. If not, I'll hang around Sayward/Kelsey Bay and read books and go for walks - it's actually very tranquil and just nice to get out of the cities. So my first stop will be the Vancouver Island Regional Library for some books and then head north and see what happens. Most ground support are heading direct to Telegraph Cove, but I think they miss out by bypassing Kelsey Bay - still, there aren't enough hotel rooms in Sayward/Kesley Bay to go around, so that is actually fine with me

Kelsey Bay is a great place to watch the fleet sail past on the 5th leg of the race. It's also a place that time seems to have forgotten. Ever since the highway was extended to Port Hardy, Sayward and Kelsey Bay's main reason for existing has disappeared. The old ferry dock is still there, but looks strange with no ferry activity. The village of Sayward's main street resembles a ghost town. It truely is a great location to do nothing - which means it will probably rain.

As usual, pictures and official details at the Cadillac Van Isle website at http://www.vanisle360.com/

Sorry - no pictures, this computer doesn't accept my camera USB connection and has no card reader. I'll post them when I can.