Tuesday, June 19, 2007

View from the Ground - Cadillac Van Isle - Leg 4 (Start)

Kairos left promptly from the dock at 6:00am heading to Deepwater Bay for the 8:00am start. They have an ebb tide so it should help them through the narrows - winds look decent now, so hopefully it stays with them. I'm off to do some shopping in Campbell River, get a few books and head into the unknown at Sayward and Kelsey Bay. Probably find a creepy hotel - you know the type, check-in at the bar, light fixtures missing or on the floor, one TV channel with poor reception.

Weather has been typical for the Cadillac Van Isle 360 - a mix of wind, rain and sun. Of course, the North Island gets a lot of rain and I can't remember a race in which we didn't actually have rain.

I'm not sure when my next post will be as I don't think I'll have Internet access until Port Hardy (maybe Telegrah Cove). I can't even get FM radio stations, cell coverage is non-existent, so I'm not hoping for my roadhouse-room-over-the-bar-hotel to have wireless Internet. So this might be it for a day or two from me. The Cadillac Van Isle website will continue to be updated. We truly are sailing towards the ends of the earth.

Tomorrow should big thrill for me - at Woss there is Baldwin steam locomotive that used to run on the rails taking logs from the camps to Bear Cove - it makes a great photo opportunity. And at Bear Cove I'll get to see one of the only remaining active logging railroads in North America - though now it is diesel hauled.