Monday, June 18, 2007

View from the Shore - Cadillac Van Isle - Leg 3 (start)

"Kairos" has started leg three and is currently heading north to Campbell River with the Van Isle fleet. The start this morning was at 8:00am from the east side of Comox Bar - meaning an earlier start from the docks. One crew member has jumped ship and is on "Blue Lightening" filming for TV. I watched the start from Goose Spit, climbing up a little to get an advantage to see the start line 3km distant.

Turkey Head Sailing Association members are giving out prized Turkey head caps to the skipper or crew-person who commits the utmost in stupidity during a leg of the race - or as Gary Robinson of "Tracks" says, it looked like a good idea at the time, but turned out to be quite stupid.

In Leg 1 "Wild Child" won the award for getting too close - or did they hit :) - a rock in Nanaimo Harbour before the start by sailing on the wrong side of a cardinal bouy.

In Leg 2 a crew member on "Capricorno" won the award for peeing off the back of the boat while crossing the finish line with a media boat taking pictures. Gary termed this "Pissing off the Race Committee".

Can't wait to see who wins Leg Three.

Time for me to get to my start line and head north. I always feel a bit like to the hare, in "The Tortoise and the Hare". Because I know I'm faster, I don't rush. Yesterday, the fleet surprised me by being further ahead than I thought, though I still get to the finish line ahead of the fastest boat in the fleet (Icon). In previous races the boats have finished before I get there, it all depends on the winds. Still, today looks pretty safe for me, as the winds are light and they'll have currents against all day (not looking good for them).